Waiting for today...: Article: What Depression Feels Like

"In plain English, stress early in life makes us more vulnerable to stress la...

"In plain English, stress early in life makes us more vulnerable to stress later in life. The evidence for this can be seen in multiple physiological an... - Nyawela Gianna - Google+

Friday, April 18

Article: What Depression Feels Like


Hi, I'm still new to PC and I'm new to the depression forums.

I can identify with what everyone has said. Especially about being empty, feeling like I don't belong and having so much to do but not being able to begin.

It's almost like I feel as though I'm a robot... just moving from here to there without any real purpose of my own, empty. Like at work, I just want to go, do what I "have" to do and go back home where it's safe, so I can "turn off". I block out everything that's happening around me... nothing matters.
I isolate myself, I don't want to talk to anyone because I either have to lie about how I'm feeling or I have to talk about it. It's exhausting. And while people mean well, what they say will often irritate the f*** out of me or make me feel worse.
I don't take care of myself: don't shower, wear the same dirty clothes every day. I eat but not for nutrition, it's for comfort so I eat junk food. I lay in bed all day watching TV and when I have to go out somewhere, I playback the made up life I created as a child over and over again in my head while I avoid eye contact and conversation with people.
And once I'm depressed... once I'm in that dark place, I'm almost always afraid to leave. It's like I don't want to confront all that has been neglected... like it's too much work to put my life back together again. -- February 6th, 2014 Reply to “Can You Describe Your Lowest Low?” on the Forums at Psych Central

Hardly poetic, yet very therapeutic.  It was the first time I actually described my depression in public without all the sugarcoating. Without holding back. Without the fear of rejection, glances of skepticism or having to endure half-assed attempts at encouragement. For a change I was able to open up and be honest about how I really felt in the midst of a depressive episode.  It wasn’t much.  It was therapeutic.  Not at all poetic.   But the following article includes a very poetic first person account of what depression feels like.




Hanging out with depression crushes me...
I can’t breathe. I am alone and drowning and I can’t swim and the water is dark and vast and there is no bottom...
I want to just sleep I can’t wait to sleep but then it wakes me up, way before dawn…
It overshadows everything… The sun doesn’t shine here…

con’t reading: What Depression Feels Like written by Anonymous, published by Samantha Smithstein Psy.D.,  contributor on Psychologytoday.com and author of What The Wild Things Are. Retrieved on June 17th, 2014 from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/what-the-wild-things-are/201403/what-depression-feels