Waiting for today...: Why Put Off Until Tomorrow?

"Research has shown that such people are overrepresented among cases of fals...

"Research has shown that such people are overrepresented among cases of false confession because the conditions of their illness - such as proneness t... - Nyawela Gianna - Google+

Sunday, May 18

Why Put Off Until Tomorrow?


From a Magnolia Tree at the Adam Thoroughgood House in Virginia Beach Virginia... 




"Why put off until tomorrow what could be done today?"--a quote made famous by Thomas Jefferson, one that I have been forced to hear one too many times.  There was a time that I was pressed to make this a cornerstone of my philosophy.  It is indeed an important yet simple principle.  Tomorrow is not promised. Time is a gift and we as mankind are become stewards.  Some of us are better stewards of time than others.  I have not been silent about my struggles, especially in my professional life.  But again, I don't remember having such an eerily discomforted and heightened awareness... personally.   It's uncomfortable and I can't shake the feeling that normal is going to be short-lived.  This feeling forces me to put off what could be done today.  That is, those things that do not pose a life threat... physical or spiritual.  After all, I've only heard this quote as it pertained to the material things of this world.  For me... that's vanity.  For me, those things can and will have to wait.



As a child, I remember being fascinated by everything around me.  I took to drawing early, trying to capture those things.  My earliest remembrance of this fascination is from elementary school.  Instead of paying attention in class, I went about trying to recreate a design I saw on a hand-woven bag.  My creativity has waxed and waned since then.  As I grew up and became aware of cameras, my interest shifted from drawings to photos.  It never evolved beyond pointing and shooting however.  And just as I lost my passion for drawing and “less than amateur” photography, I lose my desire to write from time to time.  I am almost certain it is related to my instability.  So on days like this, when I’m speechless and lacking or time simply eludes me, I’ll share instead one of my photos in hopes to somehow keep my diminished creative flow from dying altogether.