Waiting for today...: Article: The Effects of Moving on Children

"In plain English, stress early in life makes us more vulnerable to stress la...

"In plain English, stress early in life makes us more vulnerable to stress later in life. The evidence for this can be seen in multiple physiological an... - Nyawela Gianna - Google+

Tuesday, July 22

Article: The Effects of Moving on Children



Thinking about how many times I’ve moved about during my childhood years got me to thinking about my feelings of insecurity…
insecure [in-si-kyoo r]
adjective
1. subject to fears, doubts, etc.; not self-confident or assured:  an insecure person.
2. not confident or certain; uneasy; anxious: He was insecure about the examination.
3. not secure; exposed or liable to risk, loss, or danger: an insecure stock portfolio.
4. not firmly or reliably placed or fastened: an insecure ladder.
All in all I’ve moved ten times between the periods I arrived to Philadelphia until I went away to college at 23.  When I tell people this they usually ask if I was a military brat. I would chuckle and then joke that my mom is a gypsy.  When the laughter stopped, I would think back on all those moves.  Even the constant moving between my grandma’s and my caregiver’s in the Bahamas.  I never asked my mom why we moved around so much.  I’m certain her decisions were mostly financially driven.  After all, she was taking care of a child by herself and on a waitress’s budget.  And since her child was not adapting and chose to begin poking around in her purse and pockets she needed to pinch those pennies harder.
Obviously at that age, I did not value money.   I valued consistency, comfort and the friendships I developed with the other kids in the neighborhood.  But I didn’t realize it then.  I would lose touch with those friends, to include my first pet.  Having to pack, unpack, meet new people, learn new bus routes, addresses, phone numbers and where to get groceries, Chinese food and pizza, most often left me uneasy and insecure.  The following article sheds light on how difficult it can be for children that are constantly on the move.  Also, how those difficulties are manifested in their behavior.



"Children who are exposed to multiple moves may have difficulty forming and maintaining friends and relationships. They may appear depressed and withdrawn while others may appear defiant and aggressive thus showing signs of either resignation or anger. Some children experience moving as loss and separation and thus experience a grief reaction, particularly in view of multiple moves. For children who experience multiple moves, there is a deepening disconnect; socially, emotionally and academically...."
con't reading: The Effects of Moving on Children by Gary Direnfeld, MSW, RSW published at Articlesbase.com.  Retrieved August 15th, 2014 from http://www.articlesbase.com/parenting-articles/the-effects-of-moving-on-children-585883.html