Waiting for today...: Article: The Pain of Social Rejection

"Research has shown that such people are overrepresented among cases of fals...

"Research has shown that such people are overrepresented among cases of false confession because the conditions of their illness - such as proneness t... - Nyawela Gianna - Google+

Saturday, July 12

Article: The Pain of Social Rejection



The first breakthrough I had in therapy got me thinking about rejection…
In exploring rejection I naturally looked to my own experiences and feelings.  As early as my preteen years I felt an inner pain and heaviness that I could not explain.  Not familiar with the term rejection, not ever having heard it, I do remember how I responded to it.  No matter the source of the rejection, I would initially lash out in anger.  Later, I would withdraw. Further rejection would stem from the fact that withdrawn people are not very likeable. Also, they are further ostracized for being too quiet, too shy even stand-offish and weird. Of course this would give rise to maladaptive behaviors, isolation and eventually depression. The following article explores why the emotional effects of social rejection are so closely related to physical feelings of pain.  Also, discusses the ways in which people respond to social rejection.




As researchers have dug deeper into the roots of rejection, they’ve found surprising evidence that the pain of being excluded is not so different from the pain of physical injury. Rejection also has serious implications for an individual’s psychological state and for society in general... Social rejection increases anger, anxiety, depression, jealousy and sadness.  It reduces performance on difficult intellectual tasks, and can also contribute to aggression and poor impulse control...

con’t reading: The Pain of Social Rejection by Kirsten Weir published in Monitor on Psychology.  Retrieved March 6th, 2014 from http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/rejection.aspx